DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, selfgoverning organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with
developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes. As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Progamme“ DAAD offers scholarships for Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal
Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, who want to pursue Master’s in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) by offering up to 4 In-Country scholarships and 8 In-Region scholarships for Master studies at Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) for the intake 2019.
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- Have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate
- Considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Master-scholarships are granted for generally two years. Scholars also need to demonstrate satisfactory progress after one year. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) are
available in the following fields:
- Computer Science
Place of tenure: Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST)
Duration: The duration of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in February 2020.
The application process contains two steps:
Applicants must apply for their studies at Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) has set its own
deadlines. Namibia University of Science and Technolgy (NUST) will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
- Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de, Deadline: 19th June 2019
- Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/
Application Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the european specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2)
- Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
Closing date for the submission of DAAD scholarship applications is 17th May 2019.
The scholarship covers:
Item Payment Amount
Tuition Fees: Annually the regularly charged amount
Study and Research Allowance: Annually 460 EUR (Master)*
Printing Allowance: Once at the end 400 EUR (Master)*
(Accomodation, Food etc.): Monthly In-Country: 400,- Euro In-Region: 450,- Euro
Travel allowance (In-Region only): Twice(beginning/ end of scholarship). The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award.
Insurance: Annually If applicable
* Subject to approval by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)/ under reservation of the right to make alternations.
The scholarship will either be disbursed by the host instituition, the German Embassy or will be paid directly to the scholarship holder´s banking account. Further details will be announced after admission to the scholarship programme.
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 3 up to 6 months. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application
for the regular scholarship and can only be awarded if the necessary financial means are available.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
- A monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.200 (PhD students) and 850 (Master students) EUR per month
- Health/accident/personal liability insurance
- A flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
Contact and Advice: